Data Residency: Status, Challenges and Standards
Tutorial and Roundtable Discussion
Join the Discussion on Data Residency
As data is increasingly accessed and shared across geographic boundaries, a growing web of conflicting laws and regulations dictate where data can be transferred, stored, and shared, and how it is protected. The OMG®, in collaboration with the Cloud Standards Customer Council™ (CSCC™) recently completed a significant effort to analyze and document the challenges posed by data residency.
This special tutorial and roundtable in New Orleans aims to inform the audience about this work and kick off discussions of a roadmap toward resolving the issues by developing or updating appropriate standards.
We will review:
- the definition and scope of data residency,
- the types of data that present risks to their owners and custodians,
- the diversity of laws and regulations around the world,
- examples of actual incidents that illustrate the potential impact,
- the standards that might be evolved (or created) to help manage the issue.
At the end of the event, we will open the discussion between representatives from various countries and organizations on the future of data residency challenges (will they get easier, or harder?) and the actions that could be taken to mitigate the risks.
During the mid-morning break and after the event, you will find opportunities to meet the speakers and other attendees, and discuss how you approach data residency in your respective organizations.